Super simple, this recipe is a great way to turn your sweet sour. No dairy, no eggs, just pure plant based pucker.
Zest and juice from 6 large-ish lemons (not talking Meyers here)
1 to 1.5 c natural sugar (the darker you go with the sugar, the less pure yellow the color of the curd)
3 T arrowroot powder (corn starch, tapioca flour, etc make okay subs)
Pinch o’ salt
1/2 c H2O
Approx. 8 oz coconut milk (half a can, get the organic kind!)
1) Zest and squeeze those lemons! Make sure no seeds get into the mix. Put in pot.
2) Whisk in your sugar, arrowroot powder, salt, agua.
3) On medium heat, cook for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly. When mixture thickens and starts to pull from bottom of pan, add coconut milk.
4) Continue whisking on a low heat until mixture thickens up again.
5) Cool! The more it cools, the more it thickens.
*The picture above shows hot lemon curd. After a few hours cooling, the mixture was much more jammy.
* I used turbinado sugar, which definitely darkened it up a bit. If you are after purity of color, use evaporated sugar cane juice.